NEWPORT, Rhode Island
Team SCA sixth in Newport - What Might Have Been
NEWPORT, Rhode Island, May 7 – Team SCA (Sam Davies/GBR) rounded off Leg 6 of the Volvo Ocean Race on Thursday on a perfect, sun-bathed Newport morning with their heads held high, but a burning sense of what might have been.
For so long in the 5,010-nautical mile (nm) leg to the American sailing capital of Newport from Itajaí, Brazil, the all-women's crew were right in the mix in the fight for supremacy.
But in the final four days of a 17-day stage, they conceded nautical mile after nautical mile to their rivals and ended up finishing sixth again, nearly 12 hours adrift of leg winners Dongfeng Race Team (Charles Caudrelier/FRA).
There were plenty of reasons for the gap including the masses of Sargasso weed encountered en route that infuriatingly clogged up their keel and delayed their progress at the beginning of the week.
One bright point, however, was the overall performance of the Team SCA boat, which Davies beforehand had been concerned would lack pace with a patched-up fractional code zero ('FRO') sail.
The fleet will enjoy few days of well deserved rest before tackling the Team Vestas Wind In-Port Race Newport on May 16.
LEG 6 RESULTS
1. Dongfeng Race Team (CHN) - 07/05/2015 - 02h03mn UTC - 17 days 09h 03min 00s
2. Adu Dhabi Ocean Racing (UAE) - 07/05/2015 - 02h06mn25s UTC - 17 days 09h 06min 25s
3. Team Brunel (NED) - 07/05/2015 - 02h56mn40s UTC - 17days 09 h 56min 40sec
4. MAPFRE (ESP) - 07/05/2015 - 03h34mn25s UTC - 17days 10h 34min 25s
5. Team Alvimedica (USA/TUR) - 07/05/2015 - 07h24mn21s UTC - 17days 14h 24min 01s
6. Team SCA (SWE) - 07/05/2015 - 13h59mn08s UTC - 17days 20h 59min 08s
VOLVO OCEAN RACE SCOREBOARD
1. Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing - 11pts
2. Dongfeng Race Team - 17pts
3. Team Brunel - 21pts
4. Team Alvimedica - 24pts
5. MAPFRE - 24pts
6. Team SCA - 35pts
7. Team Vestas Wind - 44pts
Marie LaurensVolvo Ocean Race News Distribution ManagerSpainmlaurens@sunsetvineapp.com+34668103908