Team Alvimedica, fifth in Newport "It's where the dream all began!"
- The American-Turkish team is 4th overall
NEWPORT, Rhode Island, USA (May 7) – It's not their best result; it's not their best leg. But despite a disappointing fifth place, finishing Leg 6 in Newport is a key moment for Team Alvimedica, an iconic time for the youngest crew in the race – and for the four Americans onboard.
Skipper Charlie Enright is from Bristol, bowman Nick Dana is from Newport and Onboard Reporter Amory Ross's family lives there. The team's general manager and crew member Mark Towill is from Hawaii, too.
It's the middle of the night, but the locals still came out in force to support them. Friends and families waited for hours on the dock, freezing and cheering for the orange boat.
And the emotion was palpable as their boys finally reached the Fort Adams' pontoon.
With this result, Team Alvimedica and MAPFRE (who took fourth in Newport) draw level in joint fourth place, on 24 points. Charlie's crew wins the tie break due to their superior finishes in the In-Port Race series.
LEG 6 RESULTS
1. Dongfeng Race Team (CHN) - 07/05/2015 - 02h03mn UTC - 17 days 09h 03min 00s
2. Adu Dhabi Ocean Racing (UAE) - 07/05/2015 - 02h06mn25s UTC - 17 days 09h 06min 25s
3. Team Brunel (NED) - 07/05/2015 - 02h56mn40s UTC - 17days 09 h 56min 40sec
4. MAPFRE (ESP) - 07/05/2015 - 03h34mn25s UTC - 17days 10h 34min 25s
5. Team Alvimedica (USA/TUR) - 07/05/2015 - 07h24mn21s UTC - 17days 14h 24min 01s
VOLVO OCEAN RACE SCOREBOARD (provisional)
1. Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing - 11pts
2. Dongfeng Race Team - 17pts
3. Team Brunel - 21pts
4. Team Alvimedica - 24pts
5. MAPFRE - 24pts
Marie LaurensVolvo Ocean Race News Distribution ManagerSpainmlaurens@sunsetvineapp.com+34668103908